Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Missing Home

Today we had two site visits and nothing else. Bright and early, we headed to Singapore Industrual Park for a briefing on what they do there. They're a place for many businesses to place themselves in order to build and expand in the best, most environmentally friendly way. During their Q&A, the representative from II-VI jumped in to answer, and continued on with our second briefing from there.

II-VI is a company named for the elements on the periodic table which the company started by using, columns II and VI. After the briefing and a short Q&A, we went to take a tour of two different II-VI facilities.  It was incredible for me to see how much one person had to focus on their job of repeating the same thing over and over. It was like a factory would look to anyone who's imagined one: one person repeating the same task here, another working the machine over there.  For someone who doesn't fully understand the working of microchips and such, it was hard to follow at times, but overall it was a cool experience.

After the tour, it was a quick lunch at this cute restaurant near by. With an array of food before me, it was a shame that I was not feeling up to par.  I did try most of it, and there was bread to much on as well, but overall I was ready for the drive back where I knew I could sleep.



When I woke up we were pulling up to the hotel.  With plans changing, Dr. Berman thought that we should all rest for a bit and not do anything majorly structured for the rest of the day.  After a couple hours of resting, I headed back to the Ben Thanh Market for some more souvenirs for friends and myself.  After getting a couple more things (yes I still need to go back again), Malik and I went to Soul Burger for a little taste of home.  I have to say that it was one of the best burgers I have ever had in my life, even though I couldn't finish the whole thing.

 


Once we got back to the hotel I decided to call it a night and read some until I fell asleep mid sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment